Thursday 18 July 2013

Diamonds are forever.

A few weeks ago we celebrated the marriage of my beloved Nan and Gramps. 60 years together and still going strong. A diamond achievement.



On the 1st of July 1953, two very special people got married in the sunshine and have loved, laughed and lived alongside each other ever since. They are my rock, my hope for the future, my belief that some stories really can have happy endings.

All you tend to hear these days are stories of divorce and un-happiness, of endings and sadness. It felt so good to be celebrating the kind of love that has survived generations, that has been tended to and looked after and nurtured. They have never given up on each other, they have never thrown in the towel because of a silly tiff or argument. They have raised two sons, four grandchildren and a great-grand-child. They are magnificent.

I thought and thought about what I could give them, what gift could say 'Thank You' for their un-erring support and love over the past 27 years. After weeks of wondering, I resigned myself that such gifts are priceless and all I could give them were my words.

For Nan and Grandad -

There's so much I'd like to say,
On this your Diamond Wedding day,
We're celebrating all those years of bliss,
60 years of memories, that began with a kiss.

You married on a sunny day back in 1953,
But it didn't take long until two became three,
A shorter time still till three became four,
Two handsome sons to love and adore.

Nigel the eldest, the man I call Dad,
Uncle Mark I am told was a cheeky wee lad,
Both boys they grew up, had family all their own,
And now we too, are all fully grown.

Matthew, then Katie, then Charlotte and Blaine,
All ever so different, but somehow, the same.
And now we have Dee, a new great-granddaughter,
You continue to impart wisdom, how much you have taught her.

So if you all have a moment, just a minute or two,
I'd like to share some happy memories with you.
But first I want to say thank you to my Grandad and my Nan,
Who have helped me more than I can say, who have loved me best they can.

They have always been a constant,
Even through some rocky years,
They have loved and they've supported,
And they've wiped away my tears.

Their home is like the anchor,
Which keeps our family strong,
Its nice to put your feet up there,
And know that you belong.

Growing up I remember,
So many happy times,
Times I'll always cherish,
Times that make me smile.

Nans' many 'Berylisms',
And picnics in the park,
The sprinkler in the garden,
And camping in the dark.

So many Christmas parties,
With those indoor fireworks,
Baking in Nan's kitchen,
And laughing till it hurts.

'Do you want a cup of tea?',
And thirty biscuits too...
And don't even get me into,
The trouble they've been having with their loo.

Catching up on gossip,
From Nan's Fellowship hareem,
And would you like some pudding,
With your pint and half of cream.

Grandad's intricate rundowns,
Of the meals they've had this week,
Nan hiding her anxiety,
When he wants to make a speech.

But when they talk of family,
And their many, many friends,
It's nice to know their happy,
Even though they drive us round the bend!

We wouldn't be without them,
They're the glue that holds us together,
And we will love them dearly,
From now until forever.

You two are very special,
Each unique, one of a kind.
Two beautiful shining diamonds,
That brighten up our lives.

Finally, I want you to know how much I love you,
How very much you mean to me,
And how I look forward to many more days,
When we can share a cup of tea.




Love till next time, L&L xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment