Friday 5 April 2013

Love and War.

This has been a post that has been in the pipeline for a while. I have sat and pondered on how to go about it. I have written and re-written and written again. This post is a break from tradition, it isn't about parenting or Dee or about my life at all. It's about a love that spans continents, a love that has, quite literally, survived a war.

About a year ago some very brave non-professional singing women and a rather lovely choir master released a song. A song about love, about war, about trust, about bravery and about sacrifice. From the moment I heard it, it stirred something in me, the words were so beautiful that whenever it came on the radio I would stop what I was doing and simply -  listened. You know the song.

At first, I couldn't quite put my finger on why it touched me so. Why I went to download it, why I looked up the lyrics, why I cried at their beauty.

And then, I realised. My friend, my good friend has probably felt every single one of those words as if she herself had written them.

My friend, who shall remain nameless, is married to a soldier in the British Army. At this very moment he is in Afghanistan fighting and working and helping and doing more than I could ever do.
For the last seven years, whilst he has been away (periodically), my friend has sat alone. She has waited, she has dreaded phone calls and knocks on doors. She hasn't watched the news. She has sent packages of food and treats. She has spent Christmases and birthdays and anniversaries without him. She has written. She has prayed. She has welcomed him home. She has loved. She has been braver than I could ever be.

Last summer she married her soldier and I have never felt more proud to be associated with people who are truly: brave. Both of them, him for serving this country and her for allowing him to do so.
Sacrifices have been made on both parts but on that lovely day in June, there was no thought of war - just happiness and love.

I read countless blogs and tweets (mine too!) that complain and moan and criticise. I feel foolish for complaining, for believing that my life is sometimes dull or hard. I don't think I have ever once heard my friend complain that her life away from her husband is hard. She never moans about being hard done-to. She just accepts and supports and believes.

Her husbands returns home in a few short weeks. My friend is planning a party, a celebration, a thank you. Thank you for being brave, Thank you for doing unspeakable things, Thank you for helping to keep our country safe and free, so that we are able to go about our daily lives in our oblivious manner.

To all soldiers, thank you.

I pray for his safe passage, that he returns to us happy and healthy. That he returns to her.

May the stars shine all around you,
May your courage never cease.


Love till next time - L&L xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ7f4lV3e0c



No comments:

Post a Comment